NURS 7322 Assignment 3 – Legislative Interview Reaction Paper
NURS 7322 Assignment 3 – Legislative Interview Reaction Paper – 20% of grade
1. Arrange to meet with a Federal, State, or Community legislator/city council member whose scope of authority includes the health policy topic you selected. Conduct an interview of the person seeking his or her opinion on the health policy topic. You will need to familiarize yourself with a specific current issue that you would like to seek the legislator’s opinions or view. Hint: the newspaper, television, blogs, professional organization websites frequently talks about some health related issues [be mindful of how stakeholders’ perceptions may differ regarding the same set of facts]
- Describe the health issues and the person or persons selected to interview stating why selected.
- Include your reaction to the meeting and exchange with the policy person
- Include your and the person(s) interacted with responses and interpretations related to the health policy that was discussed
- Describe the doctorally-prepared nurse’s role and potential actions related to this health policy issue and why it is important
- What did you learn through this experience and how will it be used in the future?
- What has been the most informative aspects of becoming involved in this process?
- What worked and what did not work?
- What concession or what negotiation or compromised occurred or was observed to the policy moving forward?
- Did this strengthen or weaken the proposed outcome and why?
- How will you use this in the future?
Assignment 4: Development of Advocacy Strategy for Selected Health Issue, Inclusive of Politically-Related Economic Concerns – 20% of grade.
- Application of Shilton Model of Advocacy (2010)[will review in class]
- Scope and depth of research supporting imperative 1
- Clarity of relevance, inclusive of economic analysis supporting imperative 2
- Clarity and cohesiveness of imperative 3
- Scope and creativity of imperatives 4 and 5
- Organization and conciseness of writing
Assignment 5 –Presentation of Advocacy Strategy for Selected Health Issue, Inclusive of Politically-Related Economic Concerns– 20% of grade
- Cohesiveness of strategy
- Effective use of graphics
- Style of presentation
Weighting of assignments:
Assignment 1 – 20% of grade
Assignment 2 – 20% of grade
Assignment 3 – 20% of grade
Assignment 4 – 20% of grade
Assignment 5 – 20% of grade
- If written assignments are made in a course they are required.
- Students are expected to submit written work on the scheduled date and time.
- The student must notify the course coordinator prior to the scheduled due date and time if they are unable to submit the written work as scheduled. Failure to make this notification in advance will result in a “zero” for that written work.
- If the excuse is accepted as reasonable and necessary, arrangements will be made for an alternative due date and time.
- Each student is responsible for making sure that he or she has completed the written work prior to submission.
- Late work will be accepted with consequences as outlined per course syllabi. NURS 7322 Healthcare Policy Analysis and Advocacy Assignments