NURS 7322 Assignment 4: Development of Advocacy Strategy for Selected Health Issue
NURS 7322 Assignment 4: Development of Advocacy Strategy for Selected Health Issue, Inclusive of Politically-Related Economic Concerns – 20% of grade.
- Application of Shilton Model of Advocacy (2010)[will review in class]
- Scope and depth of research supporting imperative 1
- Clarity of relevance, inclusive of economic analysis supporting imperative 2
- Clarity and cohesiveness of imperative 3
- Scope and creativity of imperatives 4 and 5
- Organization and conciseness of writing
Assignment 5 –Presentation of Advocacy Strategy for Selected Health Issue, Inclusive of Politically-Related Economic Concerns– 20% of grade
- Cohesiveness of strategy
- Effective use of graphics
- Style of presentation
Weighting of assignments:
Assignment 1 – 20% of grade
Assignment 2 – 20% of grade
Assignment 3 – 20% of grade
Assignment 4 – 20% of grade
Assignment 5 – 20% of grade
- If written assignments are made in a course they are required.
- Students are expected to submit written work on the scheduled date and time.
- The student must notify the course coordinator prior to the scheduled due date and time if they are unable to submit the written work as scheduled. Failure to make this notification in advance will result in a “zero” for that written work.
- If the excuse is accepted as reasonable and necessary, arrangements will be made for an alternative due date and time.
- Each student is responsible for making sure that he or she has completed the written work prior to submission.
- Late work will be accepted with consequences as outlined per course syllabi. NURS 7322 Healthcare Policy Analysis and Advocacy Assignments
The APA Publication Manual 6th edition is required for use in all nursing school programs.
REQUIRED TEXT / REFERENCE
[ORDER BOOK FROM VENDOR OF YOUR CHOICE; AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK AND ELECTRONIC FORMAT]
Aisle C Productions & Our Times Project (2012). Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare (documentary). [110 minutes]. [Rent online ($3.99) from student’s vendor of choice. Please note, vendor rental cost may vary; may also be purchased]
Dunn, W.N. (2018). Public policy analysis. An integrated approach (6th Ed). London: Routledge. Print ISBN: 9781138743847, 1138743844 or eText ISBN 9781351721684, 1351721682 [rent or buy from student’s vendor of choice]
- Health Policy and Advocacy
a. Introduction to Health Policy (setting the stage)
b. Health Policy Advocacy and the doctorally-prepared nurse
c. Ethical and global health policy issues
2. Methodology of Policy Analysis (focus on selected health policy topic)
a. The Process of Policy Analysis
b. Policy Analysis in the Policy-Making Process
c. Structuring Policy Problems
d. Prescribing Preferred Policies
e. Evaluating Policy Performance
f. Developing Policy Arguments
g. Communicating Policy Analysis
3. Developing an Effective Health Policy Advocacy Strategy
a. Using an Advocacy Model to Guide Strategy
b. Professional Leadership and Political Competency/Advocacy