NURS 6521 Week 2 Discussion Board Question
NURS 6521 Week 2 Discussion Board Question
During your lunch break at the hospital, you read a journal article on pharmacoeconomics. You think of a couple of patients who have recently mentioned their financial difficulties. You wonder if some of the expensive drugs you have prescribed are sufficiently managing the patients’ health conditions and improving their quality of life. NURS 6521 Week 2 Discussion Board Question
Ethical and Legal Implications
NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System
Week 2: Cardiovascular System
Alterations of the cardiovascular system can cause serious adverse events and may lead to death when not treated in a timely and safe manner. Unfortunately, many patients with cardiovascular disorders are unaware until complications appear. In clinical settings, patients often present with symptoms of several cardiovascular disorders, making it essential for you, as the advanced practice nurse, to be able to recognize these symptoms and recommend appropriate drug treatment options.
This week, you examine the impact of patient factors that may lead to changes in pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes on patient drug therapy for cardiovascular disorders. NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System. You also explore ways to improve drug therapy plans for cardiovascular disorders based on patient factors and overall health needs.
- Analyze the influence of patient factors on pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes
- Analyze the impact of changes in pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes on patient drug therapies
- Evaluate drug therapy plans for cardiovascular disorders
NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System Learning Resources
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
Assignment: Pharmacotherapy for Cardiovascular Disorders
…heart disease remains the No. 1 killer in America; nearly half of all Americans have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or smoke—some of the leading risk factors for heart disease…
—Murphy et al., 2018
Despite the high mortality rates associated with cardiovascular disorders, improved treatment options do exist that can help address those risk factors that afflict the majority of the population today. NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Science Photo Library RF
As an advanced practice nurse, it is your responsibility to recommend appropriate treatment options for patients with cardiovascular disorders. To ensure the safety and effectiveness of drug therapy, advanced practice nurses must consider aspects that might influence pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes such as medical history, other drugs currently prescribed, and individual patient factors.
Reference: Murphy, S. L., Xu, J., Kochanek, K. D., & Arias, E. (2018). Mortality in the United States, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db328.htm
- Review the Resources for this module and consider the impact of potential pharmacotherapeutics for cardiovascular disorders introduced in the media piece.
- Review the case study assigned by your Instructor for this Assignment.
- Select one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
- Reflect on how the factor you selected might influence the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes. NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System.
- Consider how changes in the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy.
- Think about how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan based on the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes. Reflect on whether you would modify the current drug treatment or provide an alternative treatment option for the patient.
By Day 7 of Week 2
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Explain how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes in the patient from the case study you were assigned.
- Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples. NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System.
- Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements.
Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The School of Nursing Writing Template with Instructions provided at the Walden Writing Center offers an example of those required elements (available at https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general#s-lg-box-20293632). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database. NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 2 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 2 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7 of Week 2
To participate in this NURS 6521: Advanced Pharmacology – Week 2: Cardiovascular System Assignment:
Week 2 Assignment
Case Study #2
Patient HM has a history of atrial fibrillation and a transient ischemic attack (TIA). The patient has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and ischemic heart disease. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
• Warfarin 5 mg daily MWF and 2.5 mg daily T, TH, Sat, Sun
• Aspirin 81 mg daily
• Metformin 1000 mg po bid
• Glyburide 10 mg bid
• Atenolol 100 mg po daily
• Motrin 200 mg 1–3 tablets every 6 hours as needed for pain
Age and Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Processes
Improvements on the Patient’s Drug Therapy Plan
NURS 6521 Week 4 DB Initial Post (Walden)
Age and Therapies
NURS 6521 Week 6 Assignment (Walden)
Different Types of Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
Impact of Diabetes
NURS 6521 Week 6 DB Initial Post (Walden)
Drugs for Osteoarthritis
Ways to Reduce Negative Side Effects
Behavior and Osteoarthritis
NURS 6521 Week 7 DB Initial Post (Walden)
Possible Diagnosis and Rational
Adjusted Drug Therapy and Care Plan
NURS 6521 Week 8 Assignment (Walden)
Categories of Antimicrobial Agents
Viral vs. Bacterial Infection
Key to Selecting Proper Antimicrobial Agent
NURS 6521 Week 8 DB Initial Post (Walden)
Increase in HIV Infections and Complacency with Treatment Advancements
Enacting Change and Increasing Awareness
NURS 6521 Week 10 DB Initial Post (Walden)
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
Decision to Treat or Not to Treat with HRT
NURS 6521 Week 10 Assignmet (Walden)
Breast Cancer: Preventive and Drug Treatment
Available Preventive Services
Identified Factors and Impact Related to Preventive Services
Drug Treatment Options
NURS 6521 Week 2 Assignment (Walden)
Reaction as an Advanced Practice Nurse
Prescription Writing and Preventing Prescription Errors