Walden University Challenges in Contemporary Youth Culture Essay
Children and adolescents face multiple challenges as a result of attempting to adhere to the norms of their youth culture. For example, an adolescent attending a party might feel pressured by friends to use drugs or drink alcohol. As a future child and adolescent counselor, you must develop empathy and understanding of the pressures and expectations of adhering to child and adolescent cultural norms and the various ways adhering to these norms might impact a child or adolescent.
ORDER NOW FOR COMPREHENSIVE, PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
For this Application Assignment, select a film depicting contemporary child or adolescent culture. There are some suggested films in this week’s Learning Resources. As you view the film you selected, consider the types and amount of challenges the children or adolescents faced in the film. Consider how the challenges might impact your ability to develop empathy as a child and adolescent counselor.
The assignment (2 pages):
- Based on the film, explain three challenges children or adolescents faced while attempting to adhere to and/or cope with normative youth culture.
- Explain two ways you might develop empathy related to the children and/or adolescents in the film. Be specific.
- Explain one way you might address one of the challenges children or adolescents faced in the film and how and justify your response.
- Explain any insights you had related to your understanding of contemporary youth culture based upon the film you selected. Be specific.
Lawson, D. M. (2009). Understanding and treating children who experience interpersonal maltreatment: Empirical findings. Journal of Counseling & Development, 87(2), 204–215.
Besic, N., & Kerr, M. (2009). Punks, Goths, and other eye-catching peer crowds: Do they fulfill a function for shy youths? Journal of Research on Adolescence, 19(1), 113–121.
Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2007). Tough kids, cool counseling: User-friendly approaches with challenging youth (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Chapter 2: “Establishing Rapport, Gathering Information, and Informal Assessment”