Walden University Data Collection Qualitative Reasoning and Analysis Discussion
Discussion: Purposeful Sampling and Saturation
What is a good sample in qualitative research? It is NOT about size or generalizability.
The answer lies in how clearly you articulate the criteria for selecting data sources; (b) your ability to purposefully select cases; and (c) the extent to which those cases are “information-rich… for in-depth study” (Patton, 2015, p. 264) with respect to the purpose of the study.
As you prepare for this week’s Discussion, consider turning your attention to the variety of purposeful sampling strategies you may consider in developing your research plan. Also consider that qualitative researchers seek a threshold or cut-off point for when to stop collecting data. There is no magic number (although there are guidelines). Rather, saturation occurs as an interface between the researcher and the data and (b) between data collection and data analysis to determine when enough is enough.
ORDER NOW FOR COMPREHENSIVE, PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
For this Discussion, you will critique a sampling strategy used in a research article.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Guest, Bunce, and Johnson article; the Yob and Brewer article; and the Learning Resources related to sampling and saturation for this week.
BY DAY 3
Prepare a critique of the sampling strategy used by Yob and Brewer (n.d.). Include the following your critique:
- The purpose of the study
- Research questions
- Site selection
- The type of purposeful sampling strategy the researchers applied.
- An alternative sampling strategy that the researchers could have considered. Explain your choice in terms of how the strategy is consistent with their research purpose and criteria for selecting cases.
- Provide a data saturation definition and evaluate the work of the researchers in this article regarding their efforts to achieve data saturation. Note what the researchers could have done differently to convince you that the relevant and important themes emerged.
Be sure to support your main post and response post with reference to the week’s Learning Resources and other scholarly evidence in APA style.
BY DAY 5
Respond to at least one of your colleagues’ posts and explain:
- Their choice of sampling strategy
- Strategies for improving saturation