Wk2 Discussion Essay Assignment
Wk2 Discussion Essay Assignment
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 3: The Psychology of Learning in the course textbook.
Address two of the three scenarios (your choice) listed below. (Clearly use headings in your post to designate which options you are addressing.)
ORDER NOW FOR COMPREHENSIVE, PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPERS
Option A: A recent psychology graduate named Kaylynn is currently seeking a career position with the local community college as a marketing director.
- How can her understanding of learning psychology support this position?
- How can she express these acquired skills most clearly in her interview?
- If you were Kaylynn, what knowledge or skills would you be sure to include? Please provide a rationalization.
Option B: The retail department store that Nikky, a psychology graduate, works for, is changing how they address customer service, and over the next several weeks the store will be requiring all sales personnel to attend training sessions. As a sales manager, Nikky has heard her employees make comments reflecting their frustration with this requirement; they believe they do an adequate job, so why change what they are currently doing?
- How can Nikky, based on what she knows about the psychology of learning, encourage the employees to be more open to learning the new procedures?
- What rationales does learning psychology offer us to explain why we may believe we do not need to learn new things?
- Again, based on this area of psychology, how might the attitude of the employees affect their ability to effectively learn, even if they were to attend?
Option C: Larry is the senior vice president of a lucrative manufacturing company. He recently hired a young man, Jackson, to work in the warehouse. After observing his work, Larry feels that, with some additional training, Jackson has a lot of potential to advance. But Jackson seems disinterested in advancing any of his skills and knowledge to achieve higher pay or stature in the company.
- Based on learning and motivation theories, if Jackson is required to attend training geared to advancement, without the desire himself, how effective might he be at accommodating the new information?
- Identify and summarize a theory that supports your response.
Discussion posts should equate to approximately 350 to 400 words.
After reading this chapter, you should be able to
Explain why learning psychology is a complex field of study.
Identify variables that may affect successful processing of information.
Evaluate the applicability of evolving frameworks to foundational learning theory.
Understand ethical considerations associated with applied learning psychology.
Identify careers that apply learning psychology.
3The Psychology of Learning
Michelle Rosser-Majors, PhD—Ashford
James Maddox is the lead case manager for the county department of human services. A new platform for documenting client cases is about to be implemented across the department and James must train all of his case managers to successfully use the system. As he brainstorms training ideas, he recalls the psychology of learning class he took when he was earning his bachelor’s degree in psychology. He knows that the training must communicate the crucial components of the new platform, but he also knows that how he communicates these components, that is, the design of the training, may be even more important. It is essential that the training be effective and engaging. He knows that there are many variables that can affect effective knowledge acquisition and that individuals have complex and diverse learning preferences. He also recalls the different theories that suggest best practices for helping one’s self, as well as others, to learn more effectively. Based on this, he designs what he hopes will be an engaging training that will appeal to many different types of learners and result in long-term knowledge acquisition.
James’s situation reminds us that learning is a part of our everyday lives, whether personal or professional, and also reminds us of the importance of knowing how to effectively support learning opportunities for ourselves and for others. Consider the following questions that might guide James in developing a more successful training event:
What theories of learning can support the development of training materials? What strategies could be utilized to encourage successful learning? How can James learn more about his case managers to better design the training? How might the diversity of his team create stumbling blocks during the training? How might it enhance the training process?